Lemonade offers homeowners, life, renters, and pet health insurance in the United States and Europe. The company uses a non-traditional insurance model: Lemonade takes a flat fee from monthly premiums, uses the rest to pay insurance claims, and donates any remaining money to a customer-selected nonprofit.
Ranked #2 in Best Pet Insurance Companies of 2022
Least expensive sample policies of the companies in our rating
Offers three different preventative care packages
Several different discounts are available
Available in only 35 states and the District of Columbia
No coverage for exotic pets
Lemonade is No. 2 in our Best Pet Insurance Companies of 2022 rating.
Lemonade’s $11 sample monthly cat insurance premium and $19.44 sample monthly dog insurance premium are the lowest of all the companies in our rating. Customers can earn additional discounts by bundling more than one insurance product, making annual payments, or buying coverage for multiple pets.
Lemonade’s pet insurance covers veterinary expenses for cats and dogs resulting from illness or accidents, such as diagnostic tests (including imaging), emergency care, hospitalization, surgery, and medications. Pet owners who want more coverage can choose from three different preventative care packages that would cover things like wellness exams, dental cleanings, spaying and neutering, and blood tests. They can also opt for an extended accident/illness package plus add-ons for vet visit fees and physical therapy coverage.
Like most other pet insurance providers, Lemonade doesn’t cover any pre-existing conditions.
Depending on where you live, one of the big downsides of Lemonade’s pet insurance is that it isn’t offered in 15 U.S. states.
Lemonade sells the least expensive insurance coverage for dog and cat owners in our rating and has several discount options that can make that coverage even cheaper. The company offers add-ons, including several types of preventative coverage, for those who want more than basic accident/illness pet insurance. Lemonade is currently unavailable in 15 U.S. states but continues to expand.
Lemonade offers one basic policy that can then be modified with various packages and add-ons. Lemonade’s basic policy covers medical care/treatments for your cat or dog’s illnesses (including cancer) or injuries. These services include:
- Diagnostics such as lab work, X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs
- Inpatient and outpatient surgery, specialty care, and emergency procedures
- Prescription or injection medication (including allergy meds)
The basic insurance plan doesn’t cover:
- Pre-existing conditions (very few companies will cover these)
- Wellness exams
- Issues occurring before the waiting period ends
- Treatment not associated with accident or illness (such as vaccinations or heartworm medication)
- Preventable incidents/neglect
- Experimental treatments
Since Lemonade’s basic pet insurance policy is for illness or accidents, services like an annual exam or vaccinations aren’t included. However, pet owners have options for extra coverage:
- The Preventative Package, which includes heartworm or FeLV/FIV testing, vaccinations, a blood test, parasite or fecal testing, annual wellness exam, and access to live chats with pet health experts.
- The Preventative+ Package, which features all the above plus routine dental cleaning and heartworm/flea medication.
- The Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which covers spaying/neutering, microchipping, two wellness visits, up to six vaccinations or boosters, two fecal or internal parasite tests, and flea/tick and heartworm medicines.
Even if you decide not to add a preventative care package, Lemonade offers a few other options for extra coverage.
- Extended Accident and Illness Package features vet visit fees and treatment to help a pet regain physical function, such as hydrotherapy.
- Vet Visit Fees covers the exam fees associated with accidents or illness.
- Physical therapy add-on applies to treatments, such as acupuncture and chiropractic.
- End-of-life and Remembrance provides coverage to help with expenses, like euthanasia, cremation, and commemorative items, like an urn or tattoo.
Pet insurance from Lemonade starts at $10 per month. Your premium depends on things like the pet’s breed and age, any policy add-ons, choice of deductible and co-insurance, and the cost of vet care in your area.
Pet Insurance Cost Comparison
SAMPLE MONTHLY COST FOR DOGS
SAMPLE MONTHLY COST FOR CATS
|Lemonade »||$19.44||$11.00||Get A Quote »
|Spot »||$36.54||$16.51||Get A Quote »
|Trupanion »||$70.12*||$30.88*||Get A Quote »
|Embrace »||$29.71||$12.22||Get A Quote »
|Healthy Paws »||$26.89||$11.93||Get A Quote »
|Pets Best »||$44.37**||$16.54**||Get A Quote »
|Nationwide »||$56.74***||$28.15***||Get A Quote »
|ASPCA Pet Health Insurance »||$36.54||$20.17||Get A Quote »
|Figo »||$31.34||$18.18||Get A Quote »
|Fetch by The Dodo »||$35.25||$20.16||Get A Quote »
* Any rates listed are for illustrative purposes only. You should contact the insurance company or insurance agent directly for applicable quotes. * Monthly costs are for a 1-year-old female mixed-breed dog and a male domestic shorthair cat less than a year old, respectively, in excellent health residing in Texas, with a $500 annual deductible, $5,000 annual benefit limit, and 90% reimbursement rate. * Trupanion’s deductible is per incident throughout lifetime, whereas other companies use an annual deductible. Trupanion also has no benefit limit. ** Healthy Paws has no benefit limit. *** Nationwide differs from our standard archetype by having a $250 deductible and $10,000 annual benefit limit.
Your deductible is the amount of money you have to pay your vet before your insurance coverage will start reimbursing you. Your co-insurance is the percentage of a vet bill that you select when you sign-up that Lemonade will cover. For example, if you select a co-insurance of 80%, then Lemonade would cover 80% of your vet bill for a covered event after you’ve paid your deductible.
When choosing your deductible and co-insurance, consider how that will affect both your premiums and how much Lemonade will cover. If you select a higher deductible and lower co-insurance, you will have a lower premium, but you will have to pay more when going to the vet for covered care. If you select a lower deductible and higher co-insurance, you will likely have higher monthly premiums but will have to pay less out of pocket for covered vet care.
You can also save up to 10% on your pet insurance by bundling it with another Lemonade product.
The prices listed below are for monthly premiums. Read our guide How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost? for more information about health insurance for animals.
How do I buy pet insurance from Lemonade?
Apply through the website or the Lemonade mobile app. At this time you’ll choose a $100, $250, or $500 deductible. You’ll also select the co-insurance rate, or the amount Lemonade reimburses once you’ve met the deductible; your options are 70%, 80%, or 90%.
Lemonade will need to see the medical record of a “nose-to-tail” vet exam done on your pet within the previous 12 months. You can show this when you sign up or within 14 days.
You can pay monthly or annual premiums, by credit or debit card
Is there a waiting period for a Lemonade pet insurance plan?
For Lemonade, beginning on your policy’s start date, three different waiting periods apply:
- 48 hours for accidents
- 14 days for illness
- Six months for cruciate ligament conditions
A waiting period is the time between the date when your policy starts and the date before an insurance company will start paying reimbursements for covered expenses.
|Lemonade »||2 days||14 days||6 months||6 months|
|Spot »||14 days||14 days||14 days||14 days|
|Trupanion »||5 days||30 days||30 days||30 days|
|Embrace »||48 hours||14 days||6 months||6 months|
|Healthy Paws »||15 days||15 days||12 months*||15 days|
|Pets Best »||3 days||14 days||14 days||6 months|
|Nationwide »||14 days||14 days||14 days**||14 days|
|ASPCA Pet Health Insurance »||14 days||14 days||14 days||14 days|
|Figo »||3 days||14 days||1 year||1 year|
|Fetch by The Dodo »||15 Days||15 Days||15 days||15 days|
* Healthy Paws only covers hip dysplasia for pets that were enrolled before six years old. ** The 14-day waiting period is exclusive to Nationwide’s Whole Pet plan. The waiting period for the two conditions for its Major Medical plan is 12 months.
Does Lemonade offer a wellness plan?
While Lemonade’s standard plan doesn’t cover wellness expenses, it does offer a choice of three preventative packages that can be added to the basic policy.
These plans feature things like annual wellness exams, routine dental cleaning, a blood test, vaccinations/boosters, fecal or internal parasite tests, and flea/tick and heartworm meds.
Does Lemonade cover pre-existing conditions?
Lemonade does not cover any conditions that existed before you purchased pet insurance coverage, as determined by your pet’s veterinary record.
Does Lemonade cover spaying?
Lemonade doesn’t include spaying/neutering in its basic pet insurance coverage. You can choose to add the Puppy/Kitten Preventative Package, which pays for the procedure.
Does Lemonade cover dental cleanings?
Lemonade’s basic pet insurance policy does not include dental cleanings. However, the optional Preventative+ Package does cover routine cleanings.
How do I contact Lemonade’s customer service?
You can use Lemonade’s website or its mobile app to get in touch with customer service.
Does pet insurance from Lemonade have any coverage limits?
Policyholders choose their own annual limits for coverage. Lemonade offers a $5,000 to $100,000 range. An annual limit is the amount of coverage your policy has for a given year.
After Lemonade has paid the limit, it’s up to the policyholder to pay all vet costs for the rest of the year.
Does pet insurance from Lemonade have a deductible?
Yes. The options for deductibles are $100, $250, or $500. Lemonade has annual deductibles, which you might be familiar with from your own health insurance. This type of deductible resets every year.
How do I file a pet Insurance claim with Lemonade?
All claims are handled through the mobile app. In most states, you have up to 180 days to file.
When filing, provide the veterinarian’s invoice and receipt. Lemonade may ask the vet for more information to process the claim.
How long does it take Lemonade to reimburse a pet insurance claim?
Lemonade’s stated goal is to pay most simple claims “almost instantly.” In some cases, a vet bill might be covered before you even leave the veterinary clinic. More complicated claims may need review. It’s possible that Lemonade will get in touch with you for more information before approving the claim.
After you’ve met the deductible, you’ll be reimbursed depending on the co-insurance level you chose (anywhere from 70% to 90%).
How do I cancel a pet insurance policy from Lemonade?
You cancel the policy through the Lemonade app. The company will refund you any remaining premium.